And today in the news...

T

Tenacious C

And today in the news the term “Old School” was invoked for the 7,856,234 time. This ranks the term in the top ten of all time overused and misused phrases. This places it ahead of “My Bad” but still behind the term “It’s not you, it’s me”. Elmo Blotch, a statistician with the University of Milwaukee was quoted as saying “In recent months we have tracked an all time high water mark for the usage of this term. We see a direct correlation to the airing of the program “American Chopper” and an enormous spike in the use of the term. Oddly however, what we can’t seem to correlate is this term and anything that goes on in the TV program”.

This strange state of affairs has lead the Ministry of Phrases to declare the term “Old School” dead as it appears to have lost all relevancy to it’s actual meaning. Henceforth, anyone caught using the term publicly will be apprehended and summarily terminated by the Ministry of Phrases crack assault team.

In related news, witnesses were reporting seeing several of the Actors from the TV series “American Chopper” being hauled away in black vans by some sort of SWAT team.At first the show's producers declined comment but later one did make a statement on the condition of anonymity. "We're not certain what happened. We were filming an new episode in which lead character Paul Jr (played by actor James
Wiggington) was building a vaccuum cleaner themed chopper for the Hoover Vaccum corporation when a SWAT team came crashing in and started arresting everyone!".

flamethrower

Ain't that the truth! I wish those idiots would put something more interesting on tv. Like underwater basket weaving or perhaps some cool show where real bikers build motorcycles from scratch and then actually put serious miles on them. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if they could do the paint work as well. Whatever. Paulie and Paulie hit it big time in the money. I just wish discovery channel would call me up sometime. I'm an excellent underwater basket weaver...

T

Tenacious C

I will say that there is at least some light at the end of the tunnel. Martin Brothers Bikes will be featured in a couple of upcomming episodes of the Biker Build Off. Their shop is just up the road in Dallas and I had a chance to talk to them a bit when I delivered a frame to them. Joe Martin will be up against Kendall Johnson and then He'll be representing the US in an International Biker Build Off.
Joe is not only the most radical fabricator on the planet, he also does all the mind blowing paint jobs himself. In fact, doing paint is how he got his start.

Check out their website, the green dragon bike is what they built from the frame I delivered to them...

Martin Brothers Bikes

B

big stinkie

Don't recall if it was here or in another forum I belong to, but I once mentioned that I'd like to see a 'real' show with guys like us building the bikes. We could learn by watching a handful of folks put an entire bike together on a budget of, say...7 grand? When Paulie needs something he goes to his well stocked shelves or some vendor gives 'em a freebie. We'd be seen going to a swap meet and haggling over the price of a sprocket. Paulie ships his bike off to a big time painter (Like Attitude Custom Painting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif) while we squirt paint in a booth made of PVC pipe and plastic sheets. Paulie uses their extensive machine shop equipment to fabricate any needed part, while we have to make do with a ball peen hammer, a hack saw, and a vise.

Now tell me...which scenario fits how we do things? I enjoy the American Chopper show, but I'd like to see my show on right after it, just for a little dose of reality.

JMHO

Andy

Bornhard

HEY! I have to post this! Lately since Discovery Channel is airing American Chopper's painter (aka Orange County Kit Choppers) I get people all the time at shows, or at my shop asking me if I paint like the painter on American Chopper. Plus they want to know if I'm as good as him and do the same techniques. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/freak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tonofbricks.gif

I simply reply with he's the best in the country and nobody can equal him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

They should pass a law to make it legal to strangle some people.

T

tcannon

Not only do people want to compare you to the "experts" on TV, now you have to deal with all of the local "experts". I've been painting for 30mmm years (for fun, you know). Now I'm trying to make a full time go of it (still have my day job). I've had no less than 10 people come into the shop in the last couple of months proclaiming to be "Motorcycle Painters". Now there's a Hot Rod show starting with Boyd C, guess there's going to be a lot of Hot Rod customizers soon. TC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

rex

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gifGreat thread guys.Just goes to show how many sheeple are out there.Show it on tv or print in a rag or paper and they believe it as gospel.The really sad part is you can throw umpteen years of experience at them and they think you're stroking them off because "this guy said that or I saw this there".I won't go off on my political rant but there's a truth to the 40 year old book that descriibed the communist infiltration of our country,out of a long list of things to do there's only 3 left,the 1st,2nd and 4th Amendments.If you notice all 3 have been under attack and trampled on for years.I love sports but but when I see a Nascar # on a person's vehicl or their favorite NFL team plastered all over it,there's a fine subbordinate right there.One of the ploys was to divert political attention to sports and games.The sheeple are amassing,but who the hell is the sheephearder going to be?

flamethrower

That whole sheepleherder thing is scary as hell.

Once the sorry scumbags repeal the 2nd amendment we won't even be able to overthrow our obviously corrupt government. Where the heck is Joseph McCarthy now?

Oh yeah, I forgot, he's at home watching the paulies so he can learn to be a biker...

T

tcannon

Another phone call today, "Can you paint my bike like, or do you know someone who can paint my bike, like the MIA/POW bike on American Chopper?" A moment of silence. My question, "Is your bike a Harley-Davidson?". Reply, "I have a custom chopper with a 110ci Revtech!!! My reply, "I only paint American and British motorcycles, sorry." And I hung up the phone! TC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bornhard

Oh yeah, have to add a couple things.

One is that Fire Fighter bike...that gold leaf stuff. It's really an adhesive back vinyl made out of gold (not cheap either), but it's nothing like the "old school" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif gold leaf that was a thin foil that you laid on some adhesive glue then pealed off.
I still hear people talking about how difficult that fire fighter bike was to paint. As a matter of fact a local bike shop wanted to know if I was able to a gold leaf job as good as the OCC fire bike. Not knocking the job, but I could probably do it blindfolded, 'cause it was that easy and not like the old way of doing it.

Another thing I'm anticipating and expecting. I have a '96 fatboy in the shop and making the over all bike look like a blue and gold macaw. The front fender was actually shapped with a metal beak and additional steel added to the sides of the fender for the bird's face. I bet'cha I'm gonna hear a ton of comments on how it's like that Christmas reindeer bike on OCC. It's like metal fabricating has never been done before.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

rex

OK,I didn't mean to start something but now I know of 3 gun people here counting me.I'd love to say something but I won't put those words in this site to raise the flags.This should be an interesting thread if it keeps going.I'm always amused and amazed at the ignornce from those that think they know and try to make you think they do.I'm not too proud to ask and learn if i don't know,it's the only real way to learn next to doing it hands on.Rambling again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

T

Tenacious C

A blue macaw!?! YIKES!!! I feel your pain dude, I just hope it doesn't end up in the Horse backstreet chopper coontail award section. Not that I'm slamming your paint but if I saw someone ride up on a macaw bike I'd probably have a brain hemmorage from laughing.

Now if he can just find a buddy with a peg-leg pirate theme bike... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

LudicrousSpeed

At least the people have something to compare our skills to now, before it was "Can you paint as good as Joe Blow down the street?" I hate comparing myself to other painters, as we all have our strong points. I let people look at my work, then make their own judgement.

I would rather watch the chopper/street rod shows that show actual work being done (even if it is just assembly) than that crap show Supr2nr TV that was on TNN/spike for a while. Those guys were just idiots........

T

tcannon

LS, I agree with you. I get a kick out of watching the new chopper building / street rod building shows. When I get inquiries about "Do you think Paul Sr. would have THIS painted on one of his bikes?" I reply: "You never know what THOSE guys might want... I'll ask Pauley next time he calls." TC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif