Airbrushing Metal????????

H

hutch82

Hey there guys I just have a quick question for yeah. I have been airbrushing on and off for a year now and I really like it. I have been practising lots on poster board all kinds of different effect everything turns out pretty good especially since i started cause everthing used to spiderweb om me not any more its kewl I like it. I have a Iwata micron airbrush. And I use urethane paints. Ok so i got this peice of metal prepped it and painted the base white. Then i am gonna put a bunch of pictures on it in black for practice so I went to start that today. First off the black was like see through I don't know what thats about. Second it would be doing some nice fine lines then all of a sudden a clot I guess of paint would come out then go back to the line what thats about any help i would really appreciate alot thanks
HUTCH

NightShiftX

You may have trouble airbrushing with urethanes.Clotting is almost unavoidable especially when you use urethanes and high detail airbrushes.Try reduced acryilics.

S

seedeucer

Only thing you can do is try and reduce the paint. I have an Iwata HP-BC and I reduce until the mixture is like water so the Micron is going to even be worse.

Bornhard

I've got a Micron B and use it for automotive mural work. It's an awesome airbrush, but not the greatest for automotive paints & high maintenance.

It's good to thoroughly make sure the paint is mixed. 2 part reducer to one part paint. The more you reduce the paint the more transparent it becomes and the easier it is to burn through underlying coats of paint. I use only slow reducer when I airbrush with fine airbrushes. I use slow reducer period when I airbrush. Also with a Micron you have to constantly clean the tip of the needle with a cheap brush dipped in reducer. After you clean spray into a trash can for a second or two to make sure it's spraying and clean.

Also to make your life a hell of a lot easier, do a search on metal sign blanks and see if you can order some. They're white powder coated & come in all different sizes. All you need to do then is scotchbrite the surface and begin to spray.

good luck