air tanks

T

travrt

I was thinking about getting a C02 tank to do some of my airbrushing, since my 2 gallon jobbie gets on my nerves, and I don't feel like dragging a hose from the garage to the house so I can tap into the big compressor.

So I was thinking CO2 but the guy at the place I went to said it's only about 98% moisture free, but he said nitrogen was 100% and to use it. I was wonder why tho airbrush gurus choose C02 over nitrogen then if nitrogen is 100% moisture free?

Also I was looking into getting my own c02 tank, but that would be dump since I'd have to trade it in he said if I wanted it filled, so I'd never see that tank again.

Travis

G

Gunner

I can't respond about using nitrogen over CO2, but I'm wondering why getting your own CO2 tank is dumb?

The guy said you'd have to trade it in to get it filled? That's crap. I homebrew beer and keg it. There's a several local places that I take my CO2 cylinder to in order to get it filled. Pretty cheap, too. Never has one tell me I had to swap my empty for one of their full ones.

Gunner

D

DenB.

Sound to me like the dealer your using is "low budget" and looking to make up for his short commings in invantory
haha.gif
P.S. nitrogen is quite cold and may freeze the paint. look into it i could be wrong i remember once i was wrong, but then again i was mistaken

S

Scott M

You can also buy "Breathing air" in H cylinders. It might be cheaper than nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen in insulated containers is definitely cold, but gas nitrogen in cylinders is not cold as it migrates to ambient air temperature. The only thing that makes gas cold is the rapid expansion when you blow a big volume at once. I doubt the tiny air use of an airbrush would cause this temperature decrease to occur.

Some welding supplies make you buy a cylinder first and then swap everytime you get a fill. Some also rent cylinders. I suppose you could standby while they filled your own, but I like swapping cylinders, because it puts the 5 year hydro burden (routine tank inspection and stamp) on them and not me.

M

MPAVLAS

SO IM TAKING IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER WHAT GAS YOU USE TO SPRAY WITH,???????

T

travrt

Yea the guy said he doesn't fill tanks on site, they swap tanks. He said there is only two places in the US to fill tanks that high of pressure of CO2. It is just a little place, so who knows. I'm thinking maybe I should check else where and see what I can find out.

Travis

M

MPAVLAS

MY WELDING SUPPLY STORE CHARGES THEIR OWN TANKS MAYBE ONE NEAR YOU DOES