Air respirators

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone using an air 'supplied' respirator?

Any input on which one's work the best?

Have you seen one that is self contained?

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, looks like the lens covers are $28

5/8" hose is a pretty thick hose.

Wonder also if you can shorten the hose. Looks like a good system though.
May end up getting it.

bondofreak

I would want the longer hose so I would have plenty to go all the way around a big vehicle while the pump unit is out side. I have seen air supply systems upwards of $1,000. Pm the dude and ask him to refund the difference for the shorter hose. They do come with shorter hoses. I think I have seen them @ 25ft.

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
After doing some research, I was actually thinking of the 3M GVP-PSK2 (Painters Kit). It's $1100, but I emailed 3M and was told there is a cartridge for is isocyanates.
I just can't see myself lugging around another hose in the booth. I've tried this before and it IS a pain.
Plus since I pretty much spray everyday, I'd need the better grade Hobby Air (Pro-Air). I also looked at the Turbine products setup (full mask), and this also looks very compatible and cheaper than the Pro Air BUT it is not NIOSH approved, but heck, it is fresh air on a turbine setup so it should be fine..

I like the idea of walking out of the booth with my mask still on. with the GVP-PSK2
It's a very light helmet.
The hose is in the back of the helmet
It's a flip up front on the helment.
This is the updated version of
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif]GVP-PSK

[/FONT]It's A LOT of money though.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Tahoma, sans-serif]We'll see though. For right now, disposable 3M respirators.[/FONT]

bondofreak

Been using masks rated for organic vapor for years. Another hose is discouraging to think about but like many ppl say you get used to it. Just sayin.

draggin81

I have one of the ebay "turbine" half-mask models. Only bummer is that I haven't had a chance to try it out because I'm STILL waiting on my electrician to finish hooking up my new booth and AMU. So, I really don't have anything all that usefull to say about that.

Up until now, I used either 3M or Gerson OV-rated cartridge-style disposable respirators. The DO catch iso's, but there's no way of knowing when it's saturated and stops working. So, IMO, ok for once-in-a-while, buy the mask, spray, and chuck it- type situations, at least with 2k products, anyway. I just wouldn't trust them past that. Not when you can end your career by trying to get one more use out of it.

I do still use them when spraying solvent-based paints, airbrushing with solvents, or pinstriping with urethanes. With those, you know it's time for new ones if you can smell the fumes (well, preferably sooner). But, unless you're really careless, they will provide enough protection, and save you from dragging around another hose.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input. I also use the 3M cartridges, but I just bought the newest 3M belt mask respirator.
I went ahead and bought the GVP-PSK2 painters kit. I found one for $1080 + shipping. Should be here next week.
I almost went with the turbine full mask models for $416, but opted for the 3M setup.

Thinking about doing a review/article on it for the front page.

Thanks again for the replies!

Marty843

Anyone using an air 'supplied' respirator?

Any input on which one's work the best?

Have you seen one that is self contained?

While any supplied air system is going to be better than those crappy disposable masks I would recommend doing a little more research. The air supply units are using an ambient air pump. Unless you put these far away from your woke site then they are kinda useless. You are filtering already contaminated air with a very cheap filter. Best way to do it while it can be expensive but how expensive is your life? is to use compressed air and filter and monitor the compressed air. Have your compressor either be in a separate room from the paint and exhaust of vehicles or have the intake for the compressor come from outside. According to OSHA you need Grade "D" breathing air an in order to get that the air needs to be filtered and constantly monitored. The ambient air pumps to not do this.