Air Compressors

T

TAZ

Just need some input on what everyone is using for "shop and home" compressors for running normal everyday tools like a spray gun and minor air tools (no air buffer, stripper...or other major air hogs). Of course (as you read in the rest of this site), I am still working for a dealership so this is not an issue *yet*, but I currently use a 5HP Sanborn 60 gallon tank at home. Old (12 years old),it works, but...just seeing what everyone else uses!

Thanks!
grin.gif

M

MTCCL

Running a new Porter-Cable 175psi, 2 stage, 25 gallon vertical portable. Will run a hi-speed sander and a 7" polisher.

Painter

Hey Scott, like you i also work for a dealership have currently run this one for the last 7 years and do my own thing at home. Getting ready to open a new shop in the next few months,if weather permitting. In my shop at home i run a 7.5 sea air w/120 gal tank,a homemade refrigderated dryer ( brotherin law owns heating and air shop) plus a set of Develbliss dessicant dryers, setup works very well and can't wait to move it to the new shop. By the way this a great site and found it by accident,glad i did.
grin.gif

ezrider

i use a craftsman 6 and a half HP,60 gallon two stage and it works mint for me at home, you might need somthing a little bigger for the shop

T

TAZ

Looked all over for a high cfm at a low cost. Finally found one at Lowes (of all places). A 7 HP Porter-Cable 17.5@90 cfm ,80 gal tank. Saw 'em on line for over $900. They had this once marked at $789.
Best deal/cfm I could find.

G

guest01

I bought a 6 HP 25 gallon single stage vertical Porter Gable. It does 8.4 SCFM at 90 psi. I had it for about a month using a few tools with it, then I bought a 105 deg. die grinder and it kills the compressor. If I run it non stop for 5 minutes @ 60 psi, it drains the tank from 135 psi to around 80 psi. I always believe in buying more than you need which is what I thought I was doing when I bought this one for $260. I guess I didn't look far enough outside the box.

J

JAMMINJ

I USE A FACTORY REBUILT DEVILBISS 6.5HP 80 GAL. 2-STAGE I BOUGHT AT TOOL KING THREE YEARS AGO. I THINK I PAID $600.00 NO PROBLEMS RUNNING ANYTHING. I'VE SEEN THE PORTER CABLE UNITS AND THEY LOOK IDENTICAL TO MINE. DEVILBISS AND PORTERCABLE ARE OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY SO THE COMPRESSORS ARE PROBABLY THE SAME. COLEMAN ALSO HAS A COMPRESSOR THAT IS IDENTICAL TO MINE ALSO AVAILABLE REBUILT WITH A FACTORY WARRANTY.

Stretch

A little late on this post, but anyway, I've got a 6hp/30 gal Craftsman compressor that I've been using for my powertools. It does get bogged down using a die-grinder set up to 90psi. I think it's around 9cfm at 40psi. I just ordered a DeVilbiss GTI not even thinking about CFM. The gun claims: 30 PSI inlet pressure delivers 10 psi at the air cap and 15.5 cfm. Am I going to kill my compressor with this gun? I'm not clear if I need 30 psi or 15.5cfm? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks-Stretch

rex

I'm no expert whatsoever on HVLP guns,but I think the compressor is undergunned.A 30 gal tank is small for a good sized car unless you have the pump to keep it up to the consumption rate (does this sound like a sales pitch or what?).Compressors are like anything else,you get what you pay for.If you need volume you have to get a 2 stage pump,but you have to compare specs no matter what.I've witnessed a few cheaper compressors feed some air,but they were short lived if you ran them because they had to work to keep up-or you adapted to getting a constant supply but it ran constantly.I'm rambling again,you should get more responses with better advice since I don't use these.Sorry to be pesimistic on the post.

F

flowb417

I just started a shop with a friend of mine. We purchased a 80gal. Husky 7hp from Home depot for 799.00. So far so good. powered my air buffer with no problem. It's made in the U.S. of A and has a 3 or 5 year warrantee(i forget). I also have a Sharpe air filter/regulator.