Air brush help

stefan_brill

ive recently started spraying xbox and ps3 controllers for people and only using spray cans at the moment and want to start adding details that you cant do with a can, Such as flames etc. so....

What airbrush would you guys recomend for this?

What sort of price range am i looking at?

Which paint is best for use on plastic?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!
Lot's of that info can be found just by searching this forum.
BUT, here is some answers (my opinion)

IWATA eclipse (about $110)
You can find a decent airbrush for about $80-$150

You should be able to use pretty much any thinned or reduced paint. Of course you'll need to clearcoat it as well. Look into getting a smaller gun. A thread was just started about this. You can find it in 'recent' post about guns for smaller jobs.

fontgeek

Airbrushes are like tennis shoes, you need to find the ones that fit you and your needs best. For some, the bulkier bodied brushes like the Paasche VL or the Badger Crescendo fit their hands better than the slim bodied brushes like the Grex or Iwata. For some a gun style trigger works better than a traditional pushbutton model. Look at your needs (ergonomic and painting) then use that criteria to narrow down your search. How and what you are going to paint makes a big difference in deciding which brush to try or buy.
Don't buy junk, you don't get what you pay for with them. You can't get parts or service for the trow away brushes, and their performance can vary drastically from one brush to the next. For the price of the first four or five of the trash brushes you could have gotten a good used brush, and avoided the lost material, lost money, and wasted frustration.
You might look at something like a Tritium. They come in either top mounted gravity feed, or with a side feed. Both versions let you change the needle and nozzle size as well as the size of the fluid reservoir. These are gun style triggers rather than push button models, but they are double action with some amazing capabilities. If you would rather have a push button style brush then you might look at the Eclipse, or, if you want better detail capabilities maybe and XG, an XS or an HP 100-C, or if you want to go even finer maybe an XN or an HP 100-B. These last two have 0.2 mm needle and nozzle setups, though the Tritium can be setup with a 0.2 mm and larger setup too.

jdean

I recommend badger 150's for beginners . you can buy the set (in wooden box) and comes w/ multiple size needles and fluid tips for around $140.00. they are little work horses . very durable and long lasting. they also perform very well. Got mine when I was 12. I just turned 51, and still have it. that's how many years? dont wanna think about it. I,ve since graduated to iwata's and custom built rich pens . $300. a pop. But I look at pics of work done many moons ago w /that badger and think, Man, that was an awesome brush, not quite like my mojo's but wouldn't hesitate to put it back to work. as far as plastic ? scuff and pick up some createx, I,ve done a few PC towers ,but I use automotive paint so I'll use a sealer first.