Air brush finish and "fixing"

RobS

I was talking to a person that has a pretty nice airbrushed car and has been told that the air brush work should have been sprayed with an "adhesive" before the clear was applied. I haven't heard of this before. Can anyone explain this to me please ? In the old days..70's there was nothing like this. You just scuffed, airbrushed and cleared it. I can imagine acrylic lacquer clear just absorbed the dry airbrush and stuck. But the new 2-pac stuff doesn't. . .just a guess.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I really haven't heard anything like that. We've always did the sand, airbrush, then clear. Then again, I guess if you get quite a bit of buildup on the airbrushing, you may want to spray some "adhesion promoter" before clearing. Today's' clears, at least most of them do 'bite' into the paint.

RobS

Thanks for that info... the girl that owns the car has been stuffed around with stories (from Dupont) that she should have used an "adhesive" before her clear...they are obviously trying to get out of a defect in their clear-coat application...Most likely the painter rather than the paint manufacturer.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Rob,

Any pictures of the peeling? Possibly it was just sanded "around" the airbrushing once it was airbrushed instead of prepping before the airbrushing. I've seen painters do this on both pinstriping and airbrushing. This would probably end up eventually peeling.

RobS

Sorry I haven't got any pics...The lady was just telling me about the problem and the "discussions" with the Dupont rep. It was too dark to see the car properly (cruise night) But she did tell me that the whole panel was sanded 'flat' which freaked her out a bit.