Advice on 2k clear coat for a pinball playfield

Hi there, I should start by saying I have never used a 2k clear and have very little experience with with an HVLP.
I got a good price on a Devilbiss Starting Line set that I couldn't pass up. I know its not the best, but I will be painting a small panel that will be level. I am setting up a wall tent with a smaller spray booth inside with some ventilation. I have a respirator and goggles, so I am good there. I think I am capable of laying down a fairly even coat but any advice at from you guys who know your stuff would be greatly appreciated. I have not chosen which clear to use yet. The playfield has been touched up in a couple places with createx and their balancing clear on top. I am not sure if I should use an intercoat over the original paint either. My goal is to have it look like a sheet of glass. I am not afraid to put tons of work into it either.

Attachments

• 1522004929994-1627864377.jpg
    1522004929994-1627864377.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 7

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

Make sure you blow and tack it off very good.

Then use a lower pressure on your gun with the fan wide open and the fluid possibly about 1/2
Hold the gun about 6-8" off the surface
Make some very nice smooth strokes from off the surface from one end to the other. Make sure you go parallel, not a swooping pattern.
A medium wet coat will do. Not dry. Not too wet. if anything a little wetter than dryer.This will make the next couple of coats easier to lay
Then go back the other way about 50% overlap. Keep going laps until you go off the surface.
Make sure you go ALL the way off end to end, and side to side. In other words get complete coverage.

Let the clear tack up until it makes a clicking noise with your finger when you touch it.
If it's stringy, it's not ready for the next coat.
Do the same as above with the next coat. you can go slightly heavier now since the clear has something to cling to.
Let it sit, do the click test, then do the next coat.

That should do it.

Hope the helps

By the way, I used to have a beautiful Addams family and Road Show pins for personal use.

Ok, think I got all that. Those are some great pins for home use. I restore for my personal collection as well. I am going to clear an older EM first to get one under my belt before doing my Diner. So I guess I would touch it some place unnoticeable to see if it's tacky?
Thanks again.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You will be fine. You really shouldn't have to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes max.

So I went to the paint store and the guy suggested a euro class clear coat but now I am not sure. Do you think this is OK? It says wait 10 to 15 between and apply 2 coats. Will I still be fine to apply 3? Sorry just never done this before.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Euro clear is 'thick'...a little harder to paint since it is so thick. normally this is mixed 2-1
2 coats will be fine, but the first coat needs to be a nice wet coat

Thinner clears, you can do a tack coat, do a wetter coat, then a final wetcoat.

this is up to you which clear you spray

there are TONS of clears out there, but my recommendation is Shopline JC630
I use JC6700 clear for big overall jobs. Dries very slow - it's also a euro clear.

Well he sold me on usc 2009-5. I should mention that I am in Alaska so I don't have many options to shop around. Thick is probably good for what I need. Dealing with inserts and such.