acrylic & laquer

socajun

TWISTED or anyone ELSE please check mail box by socajun. or i would like to know if i air brush
confused.gif
my mail box with flames and with an ACRYLIC. will it be ok to shoot a clear non yellowing LAQUER OVER IT. i think with the LAQUER would protect it against the weather more???

T

TWISTED

Urethane will protect your box just fine. I'm not a big laquer fan and only use it when I have to. I don't think it will go over the acrylics without causing some problems. Try a test panel and put a few dry coats down. Not sure if that will help because when you recoat laquer it reactivates the previous coats.

socajun

TWISTED SO YOU THINK I SHOULD SHOOT URETHANE OVER THE ACRYLIC ??? AND THAT WON'T YELLOW RIGHT? CAUSE IT'S GOING TO BE OUTSIDE. HELL I'M SHOOTING YELOW,ORANGE AND RED OVER A BLACK MAIL BOX ANYWAY. THANKS.....JERRY

socajun

TWISTED =WHAT IS THE BEST TO CLEAN MY AIR BRUSH WHEN USING A URETHANE
confused.gif
SINCE I HEARD ABOUT O RINGS GETTING MESSED UP.

Stretch

I may be beating a dead horse hear, but when do you recommend using laquer thinner over paint thinner, if ever?

-Stretch

T

TWISTED

I have never had a problem with urethane yellowing. I did a mailbox made from a sportster tank and it has been up for a few years and still looks good. The guy polishes it about once a month to keep it shiny. Just spray the first few coats dry. This builds a protective layer between the acrylics and clearcoat and eliminates any problems with compatibility.

For regular daily cleaning I use automotive laquer thinner. It's cheep(a couple bucks a gallon at Wal-Mart) and it works. Don't soak your airbrush body in it, that is what destroys the o-rings. I soak the tips and needles if they get a lot of buildup.

socajun

THANKS DIRT HEH TWISTED I DON'T MEAN TO BE DUMB. BUT WHEN YOU SAY DRY COAT I HOPE YOU MEAN A LITE COAT AND LET DRY THEN SHOOT ANOTHER LITE COAT. THATS WHAT I DO. I JUST DIDN'T KNOW THATS WHAT A DRY COAT WAS.....THANKS TO YALL FOR YOUR HELP. WHAT A GREAT SITE FOR PEOPLE OF KNOWLEDGE TO HELP OTHERS. I DON'T KNOW YALL BUT I'M GLAD YOUR HERE.
cheers.gif

T

TWISTED

You got the right idea for the dry coat.

This site is awesome. I wish there was something like this fifteen years ago when I started. I had a pretty good teacher but even the best can learn something from all of the experience on this board. You will never find this many people (especially the pros that do it for a living) willing to freely share this info.

I don't play too many games. Just a few on my kids PS2. Got Vice City the other day.
grin.gif
Awesome game.
bounce.gif