60s and 70s style paint tech

jdean

certainly is a soft spot in my heart for retro techniques and the look. love it ! I grew into this business at that time. I still have orig. unopened bags of flake (made of lead of course) from metalflake in mass. My dad had draws filled in the shop. Kelsey Martin, author of metalflakes how to book used our booth at one time to squirt a 1949 merc. air port limo, "8 door" 4 on each side, a lovely shade of hot pink adorned with murals of the flint stones. his booth was to small. the owner Fred Steele got off big time on "shock value" the dude had to have 40 cars he built through the years, never sold one. ya gotta respect a guy that has a ww11 anti aircraft machine gun set up in the middle of his living rm. next to a mint 'ole school pan head bobber. Again I love it, my friends think I have brain damage cause I wanna build replicas of old Barris, dean Jeffereys , and gene Winfield stuff. what a rush, crusin around in the bat mobile or a stage coach w/ a blown hemi under the seat. keep up the good work man, everything finds its way back in style at some point. been a long time since I taped a doily to the side of a car, and who could forget "freak drops" jus crank out some Hendrix and Iron butterfly an you'll be well respected

chopolds

I like your style, jdean! I'm guessing that Kelsey painted that airport limo for Fred Steele? an East Coast icon, in rodding and customs!
You like Barris, Hines, and Winfiled stuff? I built the Kopper Kart clone that Barris did the original of. Gonna do another one soon, as well, after I finish my 47 CHevy coupe I'm doing, of my own design.

801Rider

Lace and flake before Kandy ;)
IMAG05261_zps7532c807.jpg

IMAG05251_zpsb65960ee.jpg

IMAG05241_zps4146f268.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! Looks like your test panel may have helped you?!

Still going with the candy brandywine? Or candy magenta?
Can't tell from the pic with the test panel.

Did you clearcoat and sand before the candy?

801Rider

Very nice! Looks like your test panel may have helped you?!

Still going with the candy brandywine? Or candy magenta?
Can't tell from the pic with the test panel.

Did you clearcoat and sand before the candy?

It sure did, but it didn't account for the flake lol. Decided against doing the suns too. Would've looked to clustered. I think it looks better with just the lace anyway.

Kandy Apple Red :)

Sure didn't....that would've been the preferred way. But would've added a few more days of waiting to an impatient customer because I don't like putting so many coats of material on top of other fresh coats :(

Guitar@Painter

Love this thread! Hey Taz, I am in Tampa Bay too! I own a pawn shop and do paint work out of there sometimes. I was a pro back in the day but I "retired" about 15 years ago due to health reasons. Just getting back in now and I plan to do some old skool work on guitars. Also learning to do free hand pin stripe.