5" Sanding Disc Supply

Stretch

I know most auto body places are using the 6" air-supplied DA sanders. My little compressor can't handle one of those and I've already got a 5" adjustable speed DA sander. I'm looking for some sanding discs that'll fit it with grits from 600-1500.

I know 3M makes them but all their supplies want to sell me boxes of 100 for upwards of $75. I've found a few places that'll sell me individual 6" discs I could cut down but I'd rather get the 5" discs.

If anyone knows of a place online, please let me know. I know you can't post links to other competitors on this board but a sandpaper supplier shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks-Stretch

Stretch

OK, after searching all over the internet I've found a company that sells Mirka Royal Gold 5" discs in grits up to 1500. Homestead Finishing

Anyone used any dry sanding finishing discs like this? I'm kinda excited to try it out and see how it works. It's what 3M recommends in some video I saw a while back. Seems like it can save quite a bit of time if you can get it down.

Thanks-Stretch

blaino

Stretch,
Check out the HOOKIT II system from 3M. That's what I use on a 6" DA. Good thing about it is you can get the from ebay for about half price.

I use the 800, 1000,1500 then the trizac 3000.
good stuff.
bigokay.gif

Stretch

Thanks Blaino, that's whay I've been looking for, but I've already got the 5" DA sander with the regular hookit (hook & loop) setup. I can find all kinds of the 6" stuff but I can't seem to find any 5" stuff that'll fit my current tool. I could always upgrade, but I like the smaller 5" size for tanks and fenders.

Thanks-Stretch

O

orange peel

If you compressor can't keep up with a 6 inch grinder...How do you spray with a paint gun?

Stretch

I could be wrong on the compressor not keeping up. I just know that a die-grinder will kill my compressor in an instant, to the point that it'll barely turn to grind a surface. Maybe a DA sander doesn't require that much air. Also, like I said, I've already got a 5" da sander so there's no need to purchase a 6" air powered one if I don't have to.

-Stretch

blaino

Stretch,
I don't think you have to change your sander just your pad. Check it out. Not only will you be able to get a 6 inch hookit II pad for around 5 bucks, you could get 5 inch hookit or hookit II disc to go with the pad you have.

Just go to Ebay and type "HOOKIT" you will be surprised what you find.

I have a craftmans 5 hp/25 gal tank...so I know what you mean about running out of air.
I know if I turn the PSI down to about 60 instead of wide open, I can go over a tank completely before I have to squeegee. a couple drop of oil before use helps also. (just don't let it spurt on your metal)
shocked.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Just reread your post don't know why you didn't find any, I found a few for 5 inch that end in about 21 hours.
Just be carefull and buy the wrong disc like I did...( HOOKIT PADS have the hook side and HOOKIT II PADS have the loop side) Now I have both so I'll never make that mistake again
haha.gif
bigokay.gif

Stretch

Hey Blaino, I did look into replacement pads for my sander and didn't find what I wanted. There are different pads (foam, felt, and a contour pad) but I didn't see a conversion to 6". I'm sure I could probably call Makita and ask if they make a replacement. I would actually prefer to keep the 5" pad. I like the smaller size for helmet and tanks.

The site I mentioned is sending me 5" discs with grits ranging from 800-1500. They are hook and loop and will work with the pad that's currently on my sander. I did find a contour pad that I ordered as well that should help me on the rounded parts.

I did some searching on ebay and found a few 5" hookit items but didn't pay close enough attention and lost out at the last minute. I'll keep watching. I can find the 5" discs, just nowhere near as easily as the 6" hookit and hookit II stuff. (**The fact that 3M made the hookit II stuff to prevent others from mixing and matching brands kinda ****es me off anyway, so I don't mind trying this Mirka stuff).

I'm always looking at new compressors but just can't afford it. Maybe someday I'll get a bunch of jobs in at once and force myself to drop the cash. For now it's working OK. I've got a 6HP, 33 gallon unit. It does OK for painting but doesn't have the recommended CFM. I over compensate with the pressure and it seems to work ok.

Thanks for the tips-Stretch

O

orange peel

I guess your doing the right thing. I always find good info. at my local paint supplie store. If you feel more comfortable at a store like Home Depot or Harbor frieght, they have good prices too. Garage sales are good spots to find used equipment. The local paper always has good deals too. Keep grinding