2014 Malibu ----> Aston Martin????

chopolds

Taking a break from doing my own project to pay some bills! I have a customer who wants to turn his Malibu into a sports car. He's given me pictures of a V-12 Zagato rear end, to inspire a version of his car. Supplied a new Corvette lower bumper, and Ferrari tail lights to start with. He also cut up and taped the car together to simulate the shapes he wants. I am duplicating it all in steel. First, the inspirations!project_000.JPGproject_5JPG.jpgproject_7PG.jpgproject_6JPG.jpgproject_4.jpg

chopolds

project_12.jpgproject_9.jpgproject_11.jpgAfter spending a couple days planning on how to do this, I decided to start in the middle, with the trunk lid. I considered using what he had, but quickly decided that so much was needed to change it, it was easier to build one from scratch. Usual build procedure: paper pattern, steel black, and begin shaping on the Wheel, as it didn't have a lot of deep curvature. I'll make the lid in 2 pieces, the tops, with half of the downward curve, and the bottom, which has considerably more shape.

chopolds

project_10.jpgproject_8.jpgproject_13.jpg

Next, define the edge of the quarter panel, or trunk, if you like. I used a piece of sheet metal bent 90* in a brake, then put it in the shrinker-stretcher to put in the curves to match the trunk lid. A paper template was used to constantly check the shape of the curve dropping down to the bottom of the lid.
I got to use my new bead roller to put the bend in the sides of the trunk lid to fold it over, just like factory.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
This should be a cool fabrication job. Anxious to see the outcome. Do you have a sketch of what you plan on it looking like?

We have a local guy here that builds cars (Fugazzi). His most recent is a "Vader".
Here is his build thread. Here is the prototype

Looking forward to seeing yours!

chopolds

No sketches Taz! All I have to go by, is the internet pics he sent me of the red Zagato, and the 'taped up' vision he has! He told me he's depending on my judgement and style to complete it. I have been asking questions about details as I go along, i.e. does he want a flush mounted gas filler, like the race Zagato has.

chopolds

Coming along well. Back side, and Left quarter just about finished!
Wound up having to buy a Tin Man Technologies air power hammer to do the shaping on the quarter panel. Could have been done by hand and Wheel, but there was quite a bit of deep shrinking to be done, and I have to step it up!

100_1151.jpg1226141229.jpg

chopolds

100_1168_w.jpg100_1165_w.jpgEntire quarter done, and starting on the door. Transition from the stock door to the fender bulge I created on the quarter. The rocker also needs a transition. I tried to make the door jams look like they came that way, too! They will be solid welded in the Jamb, but spot welded and seam sealed at the door edge.0117151808.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Very sweet. I'm liking it. Can't wait to see the end result!!!:bigokay:

chopolds

The owner brought over a fender off an Aston Rapide, and now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate it into the Malibu body. The bumper and grill off the Aston is hung on temporarily. This isn't going to be easy! Probably have to make a hood from scratch as well!100_1246_w.jpg100_1247_w.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Great job on the quarter - now the other side ugh. The first side is always the neat one. Now you have to duplicate it.
Sure it'll be easier but at the same time 'hard'.
Sure if you can do those quarters, you can figure out the fenders.

Lookin' sweet - great job!!

chopolds

100_1460.jpg100_1461.jpg100_1500.jpgHad to do a ton of detail work in the meantime! Working the edges, the inside of the trunk lid, adjusting things, etc. I positioned the front bumper on the car, and still did not like the fit of the fender once it went on. Several issues. The wheel well opening not being centered, the angle of the fender looking "off". The main problem was that if you had the rocker panels of the car parallel to the ground, the door tops actually went uphill toward the rear, at a 5-6* angle. If you mounted the fender to match the lines of the rocker, it looked like it was tilting up too much in front. If you did it to match the door tops, it looked like it was pointing down. I had to mount it right in between the lines of either to compromise. I then had to change the angle of the bumper to match, so I also took it upon myself to shorten up the Malibu's bumper mounts, and push the fender back enough to center the wheels. Had to make mounts for the bumper as well, as it was hel on with big tie wraps!
So, once on, I had a huge gap where the original fender went up to meet the A pillar. I made a mold off the original fender top, and made a fiberglass one that I could bond to the Aston's 'glass fender.

chopolds

0411151828.jpgOh,, the passenger side is in primer, and I added an outside fuel door, as the Aston Zagato's had one, though on the C pillar.100_1270.jpg

Last edited:

chopolds

Once the fender was in the right position, I made inside mounts for it, and began fabricating the door extensions.100_1469.jpg100_1491.jpg100_1501.jpg

chopolds

Fabricating the new skins for the door. have to extend the fender's scoop, as I had to cut so much off the original fender, that there's only half the scoop left!100_1502.jpg100_1506.jpg100_1510.jpg

chopolds

To mount the fender, I had to move the fuse box inwards. I decided to put the battery in the trunk, and put the fuse box in the old battery box, to protect it from the heat, and not have to do a lot of rewiring. I will also cut the inner fender panels to be able to fit the Aston headlights in place, but that's for later.
Scoop on the door is roughed in, have to make an inner box to keep water out. I will have to extend the bottom of the Aston fender to meet the rocker panel. I also have to fudge the rear edge of the fender, so the door can clear it when opening.
100_1454.jpg100_1518.jpg