2004 Harley Sportster - Flake, Lace and Kandy

801Rider

What up fellas, here some pics of an HD I'm currently working on

Before
IMAG04511_zpsca4ee975.jpg

IMAG04521_zpsb078ff31.jpg

IMAG04531_zps82f4f381.jpg

801Rider

After body work, primer and blocking, I got it covered in HOK Orion Silver with 2 coats of clear (insurance for patterns lol)

IMAG04881_zps25487638.jpg

IMAG04891_zps1f7f681c.jpg

IMAG04901_zps1ff3c1a9.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looking sharp!!!
I had replied to another thread about this job.

Looks like you didn't clearcoat and sand flat before the graphics. Hope you don't run into a problem where little silver specs of flake come though the candy when you sand and reclear.
I would have recommended doing the flake first, clearcoat, resand 'flat', THEN add the graphics. This way, when you candy and clear, it's already flat, and you are ready to buff.
Doing it this way will also keep the edges of the stripes crisp. Hard to get perfect edges on stripe when using flake against fineline. You'd be doing the silver metallic which is easier to get crisp edges versus the flake. Probably would have made it a tad easier to put lace on since the surface would already be flat and you wouldn't have to apply the lace over the rough flake.

You should be allright as long as you have a lot of clearcoat on it. You'll have to do a lot of sanding to get those edges out and the roughness from the flake.

Again, looks like a killer looking job. Like the lace work.
Doin' some great looking old school paint jobs there 801Rider
:bigokay:

801Rider

Looking sharp!!!
I had replied to another thread about this job.

Looks like you didn't clearcoat and sand flat before the graphics. Hope you don't run into a problem where little silver specs of flake come though the candy when you sand and reclear.
I would have recommended doing the flake first, clearcoat, resand 'flat', THEN add the graphics. This way, when you candy and clear, it's already flat, and you are ready to buff.
Doing it this way will also keep the edges of the stripes crisp. Hard to get perfect edges on stripe when using flake against fineline. You'd be doing the silver metallic which is easier to get crisp edges versus the flake. Probably would have made it a tad easier to put lace on since the surface would already be flat and you wouldn't have to apply the lace over the rough flake.

You should be allright as long as you have a lot of clearcoat on it. You'll have to do a lot of sanding to get those edges out and the roughness from the flake.

Again, looks like a killer looking job. Like the lace work.
Doin' some great looking old school paint jobs there 801Rider
:bigokay:

Thanks TAZ

I didn't clear coat over the flake which would have been my preference. I even have shot a few coats of intercoat and sanded down before Kandy on other project. Time constraints (in-patient customer) had me skip this step. After flake, I pulled the tape and knocked down the flake that was standing up with my fingers. I put down 3 good coats of Kandy and 3 good coats of clear. Totally agree with your recommendations.

I'm most likely going to knock the majority of it down with 600 and give it another 3-4 good coats of clear. Hopefully that'll eliminate the majority of the tape edges.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good. Be sure and load some 'finished' pics.
Should look great out in the sun!

801Rider

Still working on this ****er, fenders turned out pretty good as far as leveling and getting rid of the tapelines:

IMAG0554_zpsa7607545.jpg

IMAG0540_zpsd65a7e02.jpg

Even put them on the bike (Have to hit them again with the buffer, holding them with one hand and buffing with the other ****s!

IMAG0555_zps3c1d2be8.jpg

801Rider

The tank however is another story, side are the biggest problem with lines, but strangely enough so is the top, would've thought with as much clear as I put down, it would have been easier. Got it all flat yesterday, but I will for sure be clearing it one more time. I dont want to cut through during the buffing process ;)

This wasn't takin when completely flat as that wouldn't show anyone what TAZ was referring too about tape lines lol

IMAG0541_zps1ce154f9.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looking sharp....yea, next time you'll find it's 100% easier to do the flake first, clear it, sand it "flat", then do the graphics...basically do the job backwards.
You'll also find it's faster and....you can get a good nights rest....lol
Definitely one more clearing on the tank. One more should do it.

It does look sharp though!!!! By the way great pic to show the other members.

801Rider

Yup, thats what I get trying to bow to the customer lol.

Its all nice an flat now, but I feel more comfortable with another few coats of clear on top for the buffing. No prob on the pic, I'm by no means a professional, I've only been at this for about 3 years and I don't do it day in and day out, so if I can help someone else learn from my mistakes, I'm ok with that :)

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Great job!
Good to see you got the paint job 'flat'.
Nice and rich looking out in the sun!