Thread: how flamble?

Default how flamble?

How flamable is clear coat in its hardend state?

There is a person who wants me to paint flames on his exhaust hood above his burners in his mexican eating establishment. The hood is a good 4 1/2 feet above the burners, but what would happen to the paint if he had a fire and it reached the hood? Would it just blister, or burn?

TAZ

Default Re: how flamble?

Hoss...try a test panel. In fact, to show your 'customer service' [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif[/img], tell him you would just like to do a test panel and for him to place it where the actual flames paint job would go, *just to make sure*....of course, you think it will be fine, but you tell him you want to be double sure.
    I would think it would be allright. I guess this depends on what type of clear you would be using. I think most would be allright if it is good quality. I would thin most would stand up to the heat 4 1/2' away.
    I'd hate to do all that work to see it flamed away...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif[/img]

thanks.

The other day i lit a match and held it right up to a practice sheet of metal that was finished. I held it there for a good 5 seconds to see if it would catch on fire, but it didn't, it hardly even went through the clear. I think i'll still do you idea though,

thanks again

dirk

alienboy

one word on its flamability

BOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

hehehe j/k. Clear coat is not flammable. If it gets to hot it will flake off. Go to a junk yard and look at a car that cought fire. The paint is usually fine underneath the soot.

10 years and it's still hanging on the hood. this was an industrial mexican kitchen and the hood was 12 feet long and 3-4 feet tall. still looks like the day i painted it. (wish i could do it again though!! i could do way better now!! He He)
    Dirk W. Myers