Ruined my clear coat!!

VespaManDan

Hi everyone I am new to the forum but hope to contribute in time with experienc. I have recently sprayed my Vespa in base yellow then put my clear coat on. The finish was not as desired and was a bit to orange peely so I started to sand it back with 2000 grit to flat it and I have only gone and burnt through to the primer. I then thought oh crap I know what I’ll do I’ll sand the rest down with a P 800 and put the base on agian and then clear coat it and there we go job done…. But oh no I put the base on but this time it reacted in parts and went crazed or wrinkly. I don’t know what to do? Any suggestions. I was thinking to sand it lightly then epoxy primer over and start again? Really hoping to get some good advice.
kind Regards
Dan

chopolds

Sand it to get ALL the wrinkling off! Then epoxy seal, and start over with the paint. I would be concerned why it wrinkled. Did you let the paint cure long enough before attempting touch up? Did you paint, or store it in colder temps, where the paint couldn't cure? Did you use hardener in the clear? Was it good? (no crystals in the liquid). Spray it too soon, too wet, or too close together? Lots could go wrong in your case, you need to find out why it happened in the first place, or it could happen again.

VespaManDan

Thanks for your reply chopolds. I let the paint cure I used the hardener and I feel the paint had cured. To tell you the truth it was quite cold but the shop recommended I use a heat lamp and put some rocket in the mix which is only used 3mm per 100mm of paint. So I did all that and if I had got the clear coat on to the right texture I would of been over the moon. But since I didn’t then burnt through trying to repair. The only thing I can think is I scuffed the clear up to put some base over with the hope to re clear but it went all wrinkly. I can only think the thinner in the base reacted with the clear and messed it up. But I was planning what you said epoxy and start again. This time I might get 2 pack direct gloss instead of base that is to be mixed 1:1 what do you think?

VespaManDan

so I decided to put the epoxy sealer over the Vespa and restart. I sanded the areas out but it happened again. I don’t get it. I have added some pictures. I am going to leave it for a week to completely cure then….. I dunno I’ll probably set fire to it haha just kidding. I was watching a few videos on YouTube and from what I see it looks like I am going to have to sand it back to metal. What a bummer.I have added a few pics so you can see what’s happening….. Sorry I can’t add the pics for some reason it says the file is too big it’s only 1mb ha.

Attachments

• IMG-20220103-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0007.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220103-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0006.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220103-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0005.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220103-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220103-WA0004.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

chopolds

Hmmm, you never said if you stripped all the old paint before shooting the new job. Possibly, it's old paint reacting under the new. Still could be that the clear wasn't cured enough. Paint usually needs 24+ hours at over 68* to cure properly. I am also concerned that you sanded through the clear with 2000 grit. That is very vine paper, and it shouldn't have cut through the clear so easily. How many coats of clear did you put on? You really need a certain film thickness to be strong, and enough to sand and buff.

VespaManDan

I never stripped the old paint off. I just keyed into it. The clear wasn’t thick enough and the 2000 grit was on a DA so way aggressive. I believe the bottom line is I was inpatient and never let the clear coat cure. I’m going to paint on some neutraliser next week. I’ll add more to this later. And I will document the retrial on here so you can see what happens. Thanks for your help though it means a lot.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Realistically you're going to end up having to strip it down to nothing and start over. The new paint is 'biting' into the old paint thus wrinkling it.
You MIGHT be able to strip just the wrinkled areas and reshoot, but you will have to paint very light coats with a fast reducer (slow reducer will bite into the old paint even more)
Your best bet is just to strip though

VespaManDan

I’m on with it. I think I didn’t let nothing cure. I have remanded and now I am going to apply the epoxy primer again soon here is a picture of where I am up to. I will keep photos to update you.

Attachments

• F13FF12E-5E75-43B4-A175-429F3D0CD303.jpeg
    F13FF12E-5E75-43B4-A175-429F3D0CD303.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 3

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
(y) Put on a lighter coat to start with.
Be sure to use a fast reducer.
You still 'might' have a problem since you still have the gray and yellow on there. if the yellow is factory, that should be all right.
Maybe take some reducer on a rag and do an area on the gray and see if that softens it up. If so, you may still have to remove some more gray

VespaManDan

The gray seems fine at the moment I am going to epoxy it gently and then 2k high build and start again with the yellow then clear coat I'll keep you informed I am just not going to rush. I'm doing this in the UK in the north west and it's -1 here so I'm trying to get everything to a good temperature before I start the process. But I really appreciate everyone's input. 👍🏻

VespaManDan

well I degreased the Vespa and put my epoxy primer on.…….and it worked.. on a separate issue the texture was a bit blobby but that was my fault I’ll get this back on the 2k high build on a 600 grit. Here’s the latest image.

Attachments

• 64960FE8-9A18-4EC5-9E9A-D6B02DCDF246.jpeg
    64960FE8-9A18-4EC5-9E9A-D6B02DCDF246.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 2

VespaManDan

Here it is for now just needs a polish later on. But it worked out in the end. Thanks for all the help. The main problem was I didn’t let the paints off gas and I was too eager.

Attachments

• 9E69C9EF-CC83-4B2E-AFC4-FCE79E420B69.jpeg
    9E69C9EF-CC83-4B2E-AFC4-FCE79E420B69.jpeg
    866.3 KB · Views: 1