No flake silver

Greg

I have need of a silver paint with no flakes. Preferably a single stage paint as I am trying to minimize the gloss level as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

chopolds

I don't know if there is a silver paint without metallic. Maybe a light grey will suffice, esp. if you're looking to flatten it. A good body and paint supply store should be able to help you with the paint and flattening agent.

Greg

Thanks for your help. The problem with the silvers I've found is the sparkle in the paint caused by the metallic. I can match the color I need but the sparkle is the problem.

Thanks,

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Are you trying to match like an aluminum color?
Chopolds is right though, if you take out the metallic of course you'll end up with just a basecoat (for the most part)

A silver metallic without any metallic is basically a 'gray' like primer gray.
But this consists of black white and other solid toners

Greg

Thanks for your help. I am trying to match the polished aluminum finish that you might see on the outside edge of a two color aluminum wheel. I'm repairing "curb rash." I mask the interior color and paint the outside edge. I'm able to match the color pretty well. The only thing that gives away my repair is the "sparkle" of the metal flake in the paint. I am using a single stage, but I could use a base coat/clear coat, as well. However, it seems that the clear coat high lights the "sparkle" and makes it more prominent. That's why I've been using a single stage paint. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your help,
Greg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you might be doing something like that. You may want to check out Alsa Corp. They have some of those type paints where there is an extremely fine metallic in it.
I've used the Mirra Chrome before. I think they have one that resembles chrome and one that resembles alum.
It has to be applied properly or it does not look right.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal. Be sure to read the directions on the steps before using