Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Struggling with Mig Welding...

Prepguy

FYI..I am cutting the ball off, quite often, although not all the time. I am not getting a large ball.

I'm posting pics below of my last test today. I did use 3 heat, and I turned up the feed speed a bit. I did not blow any holes through. As well, the complete weld line I did does appear to have no pin holes when I hold it up to the light. I'm by no means good at this, but I think I am improving.

I thought I took more pictures, but I guess most were on set 1. One of my main concerns at this point is the penetration, as seen on back side, good enough.

I'm going to stop practice for tonight. I plan to do one more practice, but with some gap in the pieces. I don't have confidence that for that entire scoop I can make it an exact fit. But I sure plan to give it a try.

Prepguy

Default Making progress...

Well, I did a lot more practicing. While certainly not an expert, I think I'll get by. Appreciate your help.

Below is where I was at as of 5:00 p.m. CST yesterday. (Spent a lot of time trying to make the fit good...I'm pretty happy with the fit). You'll notice I had to cut a relief in the top of the scoop at the front to get it to fit down.

Good luck..you're going to need it on those flat areas! Just go very slow, take a LOT of breaks to cool down. Lots of tacks....